Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tahiti

After my mini rant yesterday, Crabby suggested moving to Hawai'i. That is one possible solution. I think the Hawai'ian language is one of the most beautiful on earth, and wouldn't mind living there at least some of the time. I also want a winter home in Tahiti.

The idea of these islands fascinates me. In the heat of the summer, I want mountains, where it is more temperate. In the cold, I want tropical islands, blue seas, and balmy nights.

In other words, I want what San Diego already has (supposedly the perfect climate, never too hot or too cold), but without having to live in California. No offense intended, I have visited California, and it is a nice place, but simply not my cup of tea. Just like my neck of the swamp might not be your idea of a great place to settle.

So give me three homes (not asking for much, am I?). An island getaway for when the others are too cold, a mountain retreat for when the others are too hot, and right here in the bayous of Cajun country for those in between times, or when I just need a Saturday night football fix in autumn.

And to those who love living in California, come visit me, and I'll come visit you.


Today is:

Compitalia -- Old Roman Calendar (slave festival to the household gods)

Feast of Fabulous Wild Men Day

Festival of Sarasyate (Hindu goddess of wisdom)

Goblin Gala (Fairies not invited)

Lift Every Voice and Sing Day (I promise I won't! You, however, are welcome to.)

National Clean-Off-Your-Desk Day (Me and what army? Anybody got a steam shovel?)

National Marzipan Day

National Pharmacist Day

Printing Ink Day

Ullr Festival (mythical god of winter)

Working Woman's Appreciation Day


Birthdays Today:

Jeff Bezos, 1964
Kirstie Alley, 1955
Howard Stern, 1954
Rush Limbaugh, 1951
Joe Frazier, 1944
Glenn Yarborough, 1930
Ray Price, 1926
Luise Rainer, 1910
Tex Ritter, 1905
Joe E. Lewis, 1902
Jack London, 1876
John Singer-Sargent, 1856
Charles Perrault, 1628


Today in History:

Tsarina Elizabeth establishes the first university in Russia, 1755
The first US public museum is established, in Charlestown, South Carolina, 1773
Mission Santa Clara de Asis is founded in California, 1777
The first cargo arrives in New Orleans by steamship, from Natchez, 1812
The Royal Astronomical Society is founded in England, 1820
Anthracite coal is first used to smelt iron, in Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, 1839
The Dow-Jones closes above 100 for the first time, 1906

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.