Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How Do You Know When You Are Famous?

When the whole world knows you broke your toe, that's how. And they know it not because you yelled loudly enough to be heard into the next county, either.

That's what i decided when i heard about Aretha Franklin and her stumbling over her favorite Jimmy Choo shoe while she was packing for a tour.

Seriously, nobody heard about my broken toe years ago but the family members who heard the thump and the "Ouch!" Oh, and the people who watched me limp for a couple of weeks while it healed.

This got me thinking of what it must be like for famous people, that anyone with an interest is going to know more than a fair share of what happens to you.

Would i want that kind of attention that being famous brings?

Nope. At least, i don't think so.

My toes are my business, and i think it's better that way.


Today is

Anti-Fascist Struggle Day -- Croatia

Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Great Patriotic War -- Belarus

Elfin Music Festival -- Fairy Calendar

Festival of 1 Lithe -- Hobbit Calendar

Glastonbury Festival -- Vale of Avalon, Glastonbury, England (the world's largest greenfield music and performing arts festival, through the 26th)

La Festa Del Gigli -- Nola, Campagna, Italy (Festival of the Lilies, in honor of St. Paulinus)

Mnarja -- Buskett Gardens, Malta (folk festival, through tomorrow)

Morat Commemoration Day -- Switzerland

National Chocolate Eclair Day

St. Acacius' Day (patron against headaches)

St. Nicetas' Day (patron of Romania)

St. Thomas More's Day

Stupid Guy Thing Day -- included under protest; "guy things" aren't necessarily stupid, it should just be Guy Thing Day

Teacher's Day -- El Salvador



Birthdays Today:

Eric Stretch, 1980
Donald Faison, 1974
Carson Daly, 1973
Mary Lynn Rajskub, 1971
Kurt Warner, 1971
Amy Brennenman, 1964
Dan Brown, 1964
Freddie Prinze, 1954
Cyndi Lauper, 1953
Meryl Streep, 1949
Lindsay Wagner, 1949
Todd Rundgren, 1948
Pete Maravich, 1947
Ed Bradley, 1941
Kris Kristofferson, 1936
Joseph Papp, 1921
Billy Wilder, 1906
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1906
John Dillinger, 1903


Today in History:

Ptolemy IV of Egypt defeats Antiochus III the Great of the Seleucid kingdom, BC217
Bilbo Baggins returns to his home at Bag End, (Shire Reconning), 1342
The Jewish quarter of Prague is burned and looted, 1559
Galileo Galilei is forced by Inquisition to "abjure, curse, & detest" his Copernican heliocentric views, 1633
A poisonous cloud from Laki volcanic eruption in Iceland reaches Le Havre in France, 1783
The British Parliament abolishes feudalism and the seigneurial system in British North America, 1825
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee procession in London, 1897
The Flag of Sweden is adopted, 1906
The Flag of the Faroe Islands is raised for the first time, 1919
Erwin Rommel is promoted to Field Marshal after the capture of Tobruk, 1942
The Cuyahoga River catches fire, which triggers a crack-down on pollution in the river, 1969
The Canadian House of Commons abolishes capital punishment, 1976
Charon, a satellite of the dwarf planet Pluto, is discovered, 1978
The largest hailstone ever recorded falls in Aurora, Nebraska (7inch diameter, 18.75 inch circumference), 2003
Eastman Kodak Company announces that it will discontinue sales of the Kodachrome Color Film, concluding its 74-year run as a photography icon, 2009

5 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation to you, I didn't know Aretha broke her toe. Nor do I care now that I do know. As for being famous, I probably couldn't take it very well. I'd love the adulation, and I wouldn't at all mind the scrutiny, but the first bad review I was given would make me crumple up into a ball and cry big unmanly tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suldog. The criticism would probably have me down for the count, too. That, and not being able to hardly brush my teeth without someone thinking they have to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halllalujah! I can post, at least at the substation! HI! As far as being famous, I suppose the closest I could have to that is when my parents went to Reno for a confrence, and I was 17, and they decided I was old enough to be home and get myself to school, etc. They wanted to make sure I was safe, so they told family and close friends that I was there, and could they check on me?

    This led to me being late the first day, because I was answering the phone with reminders that Tuesday was a school day, was I ready to go? Wednesday was an interesting day for Mom and Dad, as they were getting long distance calls from family and friends saying I wasn't answering the phone that morning!!

    Ahhh, stardom.

    Cat. (I deleted the above post, all it said was "testing". I thought it would just go. Oops..)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's okay about the test, Cat. Really, i don't mind being a guinea pig, if it means you can post again sometimes.

    Fame is fickle, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.