Monday, October 19, 2009

Laundry

L is for Laundry.

Getting it washed is not the problem.

Drying is easy -- the line is out back. If it is wet, there are hangers and hooks set up for some stuff, and the electricity sucking vampire of a dryer to take up the slack when absolutely necessary.

Folding happens all of the time.

Having the children, including my own inner child, put the doggone stuff away, well, this is where the pile up occurs.

How can anyone get so far along in the process and just stop?

Happens here all of the time. Then I think back, and this seems to be what happens in many things in life. I get to a point of being almost done, and there it sits. Almost done. Whatever it is.

I guess, if I get it done, I get a final grade. What if I don't get an A? That has been the fear, planted deep in my brain from my first day of preschool (my brothers got what they got, and it wasn't much minded, I was required by my mom to get and A on every scrap of paper I brought home).

So, I never put the laundry away because I might not get an A for my laundry skills? I'm either overanalyzing (very possible), trying to be an overachiever (a lazy person like me?), or nuts. Probably a combination.

I better go put away the towels.


Today is:

Bettara-Ichi, Japan (Pickle Market Fair)

Change Your Life Day

Evaluate Your Life Day

Feast of St. Paul of the Cross

International Media Democracy Day, Canada

Jesuit Martyrs' Day, Canada

National Heroes Day, Jamaica

National Seafood Bisque Day

Potato Festival

St. Rene Goupil's Day (patron of anesthesiologists)

World Osteoporosis Day


Birthdays Today:

Ty Pennington, 1965
Evander Holyfield, 1962
John Lithgow, 1945
Jeannie C. Riley, 1945
Peter Max, 1937
Robert Reed, 1932
John Le Carre, 1931
Jack Anderson, 1922


Today in History:

Battle of Zama, Scipio Africanus and his Roman legions defeat Hannibal Barca and the invading Carthagian army, BC202
King Gauseric and his Vandals take the city of Carthage, 439
The Thirteen Years' War ends with the Treaty of Thorn, 1466
The first general court is held in Boston, 1630
The Stamp Act Congress meets in New York and writes a declaration of rights and liberties, 1765
Cornwallis surrenders at Yorktown at 2PM, end of the US Revolutionary War, 1781
Napoleon begins his retreat from Moscow (he got within about 60 miles/90K), 1812
Elizabeth Blackwell becomes the first woman to receive a medical degree, 1849
The first 4 blacks are elected to the US House of Representatives, 1870
The USPS first used an automobile to collect and deliver mail, 1914
Streptomycin, the first antibiotic which could treat tuberculosis, is isolated at Rutgers University, 1943

2 comments:

  1. I hate folding laundry too. For one thing, the cats will not leave the clothes alone - I think they are attractd to the dryer sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, me too! I get the laundry all the way up to our bedroom, all folded and ready to be put away... and then I just stop! It may take another full day to get the stuff in the drawers and hang up towels etc.

    For me, it's not about perfection but just about general laziness and feeling like I've done "enough" already.

    Too funny.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.