Saturday, February 20, 2010

Good News/Bad News/Silly News

The good news is the doctor thinks my staph is clearing up nicely. Just continue on the antibiotics, and that will take care of the rest, he says.

The bad news is that the antibiotics have removed all the good bacteria as well, even with me taking probiotics, and a fungal infection has moved in to the area.

So the doc prescribes an oral antifungal, and being the obsessive nut that I am, I actually read the literature that accompanied the meds. It turns out, as I confirmed with the pharmacist, that the stronger of the two antibiotics I am on increases liver enzymes, which will then remove the antifungal from my body faster, lessening its effectiveness. (It also apparently has the same effect on my thyroid medicine, but I've lived with little or no thyroid hormone for over 30 years, what's another two weeks?)

Of course, I didn't get the med, and this info, until the afternoon. My doctor's office is closed on Friday afternoons. Forget Wednesday afternoon golf for the good doctors of this world, they got smart and now they want long weekends like everybody else.

Great.

So I will take all the pills as scheduled through the weekend, and call on Monday to find out if he thinks this is a problem, or if he wants me on a different antifungal or antibiotic.

Meanwhile, I've gone from a person who takes no pills to someone who needs a schedule sheet just to keep up with the crazy things. Some on an empty stomach, some separate from others, some of which might be canceling each other out.

Still, I'm glad to know what the problem is, so I can deal with it.

On a totally different note, the silly news. Today is Hoodie Hoo Day for the northern hemisphere. You celebrate this by going outside at noon local time and waving your hands in the air and yelling "Hoodie Hoo" to the sun to get it to hurry the spring along. Makes sense, actually, as we are all tired of winter by now and a bit crazy from being cooped up.

So if you aren't too worried about what the neighbors will think, or they know you are nuts anyway and you don't care (my situation), head out at noon and call spring to your area.


Today is:

Adopt a Goblin Orphan Day -- Fairy Calendar

Cherry Pie Day

Clam Chowder Day

Hoodie Hoo Day (Northern Hemisphere)

Love Your Pet Day

St. Wulfric's Day

Student Volunteer Day

World Day for Social Justice


Birthdays Today:

Andrew Shue, 1967
Cindy Crawford, 1966
French Stewart, 1964
Charles Barkley, 1963
Patty Hearst, 1954
Gordon Brown, 1951
Ivana Trump, 1949
Jennifer O'Neill, 1948
Sandy Duncan, 1946
Buffy Sainte-Marie, 1941
Nancy wilson, 1937
Bobby Unser, 1934
Sidney Poitier, 1927
Robert Altman, 1925
Gloria Vanderbilt, 1924
Gale Gordon, 1906
Ansel Adams, 1902


Today in History:

Orkney and Shetland are pawned by Norway to Scotland so King Christian I can pay his daughter's dowry, 1472
The first recorded wine auction is held, in London, 1673
Austria declares bankruptcy, 1811
Concepcion, Chile, is destroyed by an earthquake, 1835
The US Congress prohibits dueling in the District of Columbia, 1839
Luther Crowell patents a machine to manufacture paper bags, 1872
The first minor league baseball association is organined, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, 1887
King O'Malley drives in the first survey peg to mark commencement of work on the construction of Canberra, 1913
A new volcano, Paricutin, erupts in a farmer's cornfield in Mexico, 1943

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it figure that the doctors are gone for the weekend by the time you need to phone them with a question??? Hope you begin to feel better and I might just take a chance and run out in the yard to hurry spring along today! (look for me on the evening news!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoodie hoo!?
    Sure, I'll try anything once. Does jumping up and down speed up the effect?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.