Saturday, February 27, 2010

No Brainer Day

It couldn't have happened on a better day, this celebration of No Brainer Day.

Mine seems to have taken a vacation. I'm not sure whether to "wind my rump or scratch my watch" as the line from Steel Magnolias goes.

I need to pick up and drop off the Angel Food packages, get Bigger Girl to pet adoption day, find my new auto insurance card in the mess I call my files, and stay warm somehow.

I'm glad everyone else has plans for the evening, I get a night off from cooking!


Today is:

Equirria -- Ancient Roman Calendar (Cavalry Horse Festival)

Feast of St. Gabriel Possenti (patron of college students)

Independence Day, Dominican Republic

Majuba Day, South Africa (celebration of the Boers victory at Majuba Hill)

National Kahlua Day

Polar Bear Day

No Brainer Day - this day is for me!

Open That Bottle Night

Polar Bear Day

Showa-Shinzan International Yukigassen Tournament, Japan; snowball fighting (yukigassen) at its best, through tomorrow

St. Galmier's Day

Statehood Day, St.Kitts-Nevis


Birthdays Today:

Josh Groban, 1981
Chelsea Clinton, 1980
Rozanda "Chilli" Thomas, 1971
Mary Fran, 1943
Howard Hesseman, 1940
Ralph Nadar, 1934
Elizabeth Taylor, 1932
Joanne Woodward, 1930
Ariel Sharon, 1928
John Connally, 1917
John Steinbeck, 1902
Marian Anderson, 1897
David Sarnoff, 1891
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1807
Constantine I, 272


Today in History:

The first Russian Embassy arrives in London, 1557
Yuan Chonghuan is appointed Governor of Liaodong, after he led the Chinese into a great victory against the Manchurians under Nurhaci, 1626
Jews are expelled from Austria by order of Leopold I, 1670
The Pacific island of New Britain is discovered, 1700
The Dominican Republic gains independence from Haiti, 1844
Composer Robert Schumann is saved from a suicide attempt in Rhine, 1854
Russians shoot at Poles protesting Russian rule of Poland, 1861
Charlotte E. Ray becomes the first African American woman to earn a law degree, from Howard University, 1872
Lord Kitchener opens Khartoum-El Obeid (Nyala) railway, 1912

1 comment:

  1. A night off sounds very good. Hope you enjoy yourself and best wishes for a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for meandering by and letting me know you were here!
Comments on posts more than a week old are moderated.
If Blogger puts your comment in "spam jail," i'll try to get it hauled out by day's end.